Torvald was described as tall and wiry with long black hair and a scarred forehead and face. Most of his left ear was missing and at one point he sported a beard although this may have been temporary.
Having been taken captive by some Malazan soldiers of the Ashok Regiment stationed in northern Genabackis, Torvald encountered the Teblor warrior, Karsa. They were transported off Genabackis together and were crossing the Meningalle Ocean when a severe storm caused the ship they were travelling on to be pulled into a warren fragment known as the Nascent.
Torvald finally made it back to his home in Darujhistan and the arms of his wife. To make up for his long absence and to reacquaint himself with his old partners in crime, Scorch and Leff, he promised to find himself a respectable job. While he did find such a job, as the Captain of the guard of an estate, he also found employment for Scorch and Leff, thereby continuing his association with them, much to the displeasure of Tiserra.
Torvald became the head of House Nom on orders of Vorcan. As the head, he was required to take up the council seat that House Nom held in the Darujhistan council. In his first excursion to the council chambers on Majesty Hill, he made the acquaintance of Coll and put him forward as a candidate for the Legate position that had just been re-instated. His endorsement was not enough however and Jeshin Lim became the Legate.
The Legate sent Torvald to the north of the country as special emissary to covertly gather intelligence about disturbing rumours coming from Pale. Torvald soon suspected that he had been chosen so that the Legate would be rid of an irritating new councilor.
On the boat out of Darujhistan he met Cal, who asked Torvald to come along to his meeting with the Rhivi rather than go north as it would be far more relevant. At the meeting Cal was revealed to be Caladan Brood and Torvald witnessed as Brood's attempt at stopping the Rhivi from going to war failed. The Rhivi leader Jiwan declared war on the Malazans and announced that he already had the support of the Legate. After the Rhivi had left, Torvald headed towards the Moranth mountains to negotiate with the Moranth. Reaching there, he was arrested by the Moranth as a thief (he had released a Blue Moranth alchemical which he had received as a gift) but was released soon after, since they had established his credentials. He then accompanied Galene as the Moranth moved to counter the influence of their age old rivals and enemies, the Jaghut Tyrant and his army, the Seguleh.
Torvald sat behind Galene on her Quorl and witnessed the Moranth bombard the Seguleh with cussers, drastically decreasing the Seguleh's numbers and effectiveness as an elite swordsmen unit. Following this, in a meeting with Ambassador Aragan and Attache Torn of the Gold Moranth, it was decided that the Moranth would first, under the leadership of Galene, attack the Orb of the Tyrants on Majesty Hill, failing which the Moranth would utterly destroy Darujhistan leaving nothing. Riding once again with Galene, Torvald helped in the assault by dropping cussers on the Orb, only to see the assault fail. As they tried to land, the Quorl was hit by defensive magics, causing the two to crash down. Torvald managed to drag Galene away, who seemed to be heavily injured. The two were rescued by Black Moranth infantry, and Torvald begged Galene to wait for a moment before she sent the signal for a full blown assault. The two then negotiated about the withdrawal of the Seguleh after they saw the Orb being destroyed, with the Sixth, Palla and the Second, Jan in attendance, but the negotiation came to an impasse when Galene asked them to lay down their weapons. Much later, two Seguleh came out, one of them the new First. After further negotiation, Galene and the First came to an understanding wherein the Seguleh would leave Darujhistan never to return.
Torvald finally returned to his wife Tiserra who did not believe his story of having saved Darujhistan.
- Torvald Nom: "...if not for the Gral, I’d have bled to death."
- Karsa Orlong: "Why did they save you?"
- Torvald Nom: "The Gral like to ransom people. Of course, if they turn out worthless, they kill them. The trading partnership with the House of Nom took precedence over all that, of course."
- Karsa Orlong: "What kind of trade?"
- Torvald Nom: "Brokering the ransoms."
- ―Torvald Nom and Karsa Orlong, after the Gral rescued Torvald and broke Karsa out from Malazan detention[src]
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.137-141
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.137
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Dramatis Personae
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 24, UK HB p.914
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 3, UK HB p.71/72
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 7, UK HB p.234
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 2
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 3
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 5
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 8
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 10, UK large PB p.406
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 10, UK large PB p.403-406
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 12, UK large PB p.487/488
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 12, UK large PB p.488-495
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 15
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 18
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 17
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 19
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 20
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 21