Spite was described as tall, with skin the colour of fine ash and long black hair. She had large, black eyes with elongated epicanthic folds tilting upward at the corner and full lips.
Spite was described in several different outfits.
- Chain armour which glinted silver, over a grey, hooded shirt. Her leggings were of pale, supple leather and she wore knee-high black-scaled boots. She carried two basket-hilted rapiers in her belt.
- A diaphanous blouse of emerald green with a broad black leather belt, tanned leather breeches down to rawhide leggings and three naked-bladed daggers in the belt.
- Loose, flowing robes of black and crimson silks.
Spite was one of twelve Nameless Ones who worked a ritual to free Dejim Nebrahl. She was described as having a slim, rust-red, scaled hand. Prior to its release she spoke to Dejim's mind and told the D'ivers the price for its release. She then evoked the ritual of release in the name of the Warren of Starvald Demelain. Spite then escaped so she was not killed by the released D'ivers - unlike the other eleven.
She later met Mappo Runt who was with Iskaral Pust and declared that she was glad that Dejim Nebrahl had not killed him as they had intended and that she was now outlawed from the Nameless Ones. She told Mappo that she wished to travel with him as she would be able to help him find Icarium considering her knowledge of the Nameless Ones. Spite, Mappo and Pust traveled by ship to the Otataral Sea.
Just off the coast of Otataral Island, Spite, in dragonform, rescued Cutter and Scillara when their ship sank in a hail of firestones. Spite herself was injured by the rain of firestones however, in the face of seeing the joy of Chaur who was rescued by Barathol Mekhar she pushed away her own pain.
Iskaral Pust told Envy about the presence of Spite onboard the ship in the harbor. and by means of sorcery, buried it in a giant ball of magma. This was being observed by Envy. The two sisters then engaged in a sorcerous duel.Spite and Envy later turned up at the scene of the duel between Dassem Ultor and Anomander Rake where they fought against Hounds of Shadow. They abandoned their quest for Dragnipur when Caladan Brood arrived.
At the time of Mother Dark's ascension, Spite and her two sisters appeared to be young girls. Their father told them that they would age like normal Tiste until they reached the age of eight or nine. Afterwards they would only mature after experiencing death-like trauma. Envy and Spite convinced Malice that if she died she would return more powerful than her hated older sisters. Malice agreed, so Spite strangled her. When Malice remained dead, the two sisters hid the body and concluded that they needed to murder any who would notice she was missing, so they set about murdering the Dracons household staff. Their murder spree appeared short lived when house surgeon, Atran, overpowered them both. Only the sudden appearance of a reanimated Malice saved them. Afterwards, the girls hid in the walls of the Hold until Malice's deathlike stench became too much and they locked her in a blazing kitchen oven.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 1, UK HC p.5
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 3, UK HB p.79
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 14, UK MMPB p.713
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 3, UK HB p.78
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 3, UK HB p.91
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 7, UK MMPB p.279
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Prologue, UK MMPB p.31-37
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 14, UK MMPB p.713-715
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.796
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 20, UK MMPB p.958/959
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 20, UK MMPB p.961
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 3, UK HB p.77/78
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 3, UK HB p.91
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 13, UK HB p.489
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 17, UK HB p.645
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 19, UK HB p.719
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 21, UK HB p.769
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 21, UK HB p.783
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 21, UK HB p.783/784
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 23, UK HB p.863/865/887/907
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 11, UK MMPB p.470
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 13, UK HC p.387-8
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 13, UK HC p.390
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 13, UK HC p.398
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 19, UK HC p.604