- "Six leagues to the north, a bone-white dragon with eyes of lurid red sailed through the morning sky. Wings creaking, muscles bunching, the wind hissing against scales and along bared fangs that were the length of shortswords."
- ―Silchas Ruin in flight
Silchas was albino, with characteristic red eyes. He was tall and terribly gaunt, with smooth, almost translucent skin through which could be seen networks of blue-green veins and arteries. He had a hairless chest, long fingers, and thick, long white hair. He was a head or more taller than Scabandari.
Silchas preferred to fight with two swords, one in each hand.
In the time of the Elder Gods shortly after the sundering of Kurald Emurlahn, Silchas Ruin led the Tiste Andii contingent of a joint invasion of Tiste Andii and Tiste Edur legions through a rent into the Malazan world. Ruin and his four hundred thousand Andii fled the civil wars plaguing Kurald Galain while fellow commander Scabandari and his two hundred thousand Edur fled the rivening of Kurald Emurlahn.
This led to a conflict between the Tiste and the new world's K'Chain Che'Malle on the plains of northern Lether. Ruin and Scabandari successfully brought down four K'Chain Nah'ruk Skykeeps using the Warrens of Starvald Demelain, Kurald Galain, and Kurald Emurlahn. Ruin was also blooded as he fought beside his legion against sixty thousand K'ell Hunters. The battle ended with the Tiste victorious, but Scadandari quietly held his own troops back and the Andii were ravaged by the K'Chain Che'Malle. Only a thousand survived.
After the battle, Ruin named Scabandari "Bloodeye" for the blood that stained his vision. It was at this point that Scabandari betrayed the Andii, stabbing Ruin in the back and slaying the Andii survivors. Silchas was not killed outright, but was instead left to the mercy of an Azath House who kept him captive for an untold amount of time. Scabandari planned to track down and slay the other Andii already present on the world, but first was himself slain by the Elder Goddess, Kilmandaros.
Main StoryEditUdinaas found out the truth from the wraith Wither.
It was revealed that the Azath House that held Silchas captive was located in the modern, human city of Letheras. This same house had been decaying for a number of years and was close to death at the start of the novel. The undead child Kettle communicated with the imprisoned Silchas and eventually freed him. This was part of a bargain that Silchas had made with the House, the other part being that Silchas would kill some of the more dangerous inhabitants that would wrestle free of the House as it approached death.
Before being freed from the Azath House, Silchas requested that Brys Beddict supply him with two swords. Kuru Qan choose the two Letherii swords Sarat Wept and Glory Goat from his own private collection for Brys to give to Silchas.
Silchas became known as The White Crow.
He travelled with Clip, Fear Sengar, Seren Pedac, Udinaas and Kettle to the Refugium. There, he avenged himself and his people by using Scabandari's Finnest to seed an Azath House, sealing the gate to Starvald Demelain and fulfilling his vow to the Azath.
Shadowthrone gifted him with a Hust sword carrying the chains of Ampelas, Kalse and Eloth. Along with Kagamandra Tulas, Telorast and Curdle, he fought to defend Korabas from the attacking Eleint in the 'War of Awakening'. He later met up with Nimander Golit and his people.
Silchas and his two brothers were given the title 'Son of Darkness' by Mother Dark, who was not their true mother. His father was Nimander. Silchas Ruin's skin did not take on the ebon hue of the Tiste Andii like his brothers when exposed to Mother Dark. He was good friends with Scara Bandaris who arrived in Kharkanas with twenty-five Jheleck child Hostages. Silchas recommended the 'hounds' be given to Kagamandra Tulas to raise.
- "Silchas Ruin, of course, was not afflicted with a sense of humour. Or its dryness beggared a desert."
- ―Seren Pedac observing Silchas Ruin
- "The brother of Anomander and Andarist, for ever deemed the coldest of the three, the cruellest, Silchas Ruin flew, a white leviathan with murder in its heart...White as bone, with eyes red as death."
- ―Silchas Ruin returning to Letheras
Fan art galleryEdit
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Dramatis Personae
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Prologue, UK MMPB p.24-25
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.129/130
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Midnight Tides, Prologue, UK MMPB p.21
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Prologue, UK MMPB p.21/22
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Midnight Tides, Prologue, UK MMPB p.19-25
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.129-131
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.196-199
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.189/190/208
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 12, UK MMPB p.465/475-478
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 14, UK MMPB p.518
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 2, BCA edition p.52
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 3
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 15, UK HC p.450