Shortnose was a mean-looking heavy in the Bonehunters. He was prone to snoring very loudly. Pre-Y'Ghatan, he was in either Sobelone's or Tugg's squad in the 8th Legion, 9th Company of the Malaz 14th Army. The tip of his nose had been cut off at some point in the past, presumably the reason for his name. Part of one ear was bitten off by Saltlick.
He had been part of Gesler's squad. After the Sergeant and Corporal Stormy were kidnapped , the squad was disbanded by Fist Keneb. Given first choice, Sergeant Fiddler chose Shortnose to join his squad.
Shortnose was described as having a long beard, decorated with the bones of fallen enemies. He had lost the four fingers of his shield hand in the battle with the K'Chain Nah'ruk. As the other members of the 4th squad were either dead or dispersed, Shortnose decided to join the 5th squad. No mention was made of whether he was aware of Fiddler having also chosen him..
While the Bonehunters were crossing the Glass Desert, Shortnose was one of the heavies tasked with helping to pull an ox cart filled with supplies. After Shorthand (an ex-heavy, aka Himble Thrup) was viciously assaulted (in order to get him out of the way) by three goons from the regular infantry who had been picked by Fist Blistig to help him recover what he thought of as 'his' secret stash of water, Shortnose, leading a group of other heavies to avenge Shorthand, searched for and found Blistig's 'gang of thugs' (some nine or ten well-known trouble-makers) and badly mauled them - leaving them all with assorted broken bones, smashed heads and faces beaten to a pulp.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 6, UK MMPB p.292/293
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.293
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 6, UK MMPB p.293
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 7, UK MMPB p.447
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 23, UK MMPB p.1112
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 14, UK BCA edition p.424
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 17, BCA edition, p.523
- ↑ Dust of Dreams, Chapter 22, UK HB p.793
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 4, UK HB p. 105
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 20, US HC p.586
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 20, US HC p.587
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 20, US HC p.592-593