- "Shank had Seti blood, the importance of which he exaggerated by wearing countless charms and trinkets from the north Quon Tali tribe — even though the Seti themselves had long since ceased to exist except in name, so thoroughly had they been assimilated into Quon culture. Shank, however, wore as part of his uniform a strangely romanticized version of Seti plains garb, all of which had been made by a seamstress in the employ of a theatre company in Unta. Picker was unsure which warren Shank specialized in, since his rituals calling upon power usually took longer than the average battle."
- ―Picker prior to the Battle of Black Coral
By the time of the Pannion War, Shank was one of the Bridgeburners' last surviving mages. He and the other mages, Quick Ben, Spindle, Bluepearl, and Toes, were often seen together talking with Captain Ganoes Paran.
After the Siege of Capustan, the Bridgeburners were secretly sent ahead to Coral to reconnoiter the Pannion Seer's city. They established their camp among the network of unmanned trenches and tunnels the Pannion Domin had built on the forested slopes north of the city. When Septarch Ultentha sent a company of Beklites and Urdomen to man the trenches, the mages prepared for combat.
Bluepearl "loaned" Shank a spell for a ritual Shank designed to target the Seerdomin mage leading the company. The mage sat within a pebble-ringed circle with six twigs poked into the ground surrounding a water bladder before him. Quick Ben served as spotter twenty paces to his front with his own line of twigs cut from the same branch. When Quick Ben identified the Seerdomin leader he touched one of the sticks which caused one of Shank's twigs to twitch. Shank then released the spell that caused the bladder to empty, filling the Seerdomin's lungs with water and drowning him.
During the Siege of Coral, Dujek sent the Bridgeburners into the city by Quorl under the cover of darkness. Their mission was to attack the keep of the Pannion Seer while the High Fist led the rest of the army into the city itself.
Shank was among the casualties during the fighting in the keep. Like the other Bridgeburners who perished, Shank's body was placed in a sarcophagus within the throne room of Moon's Spawn after the battle by Anomander Rake. The failing Skykeep was then sent out over the Rust Ocean where it was presumed to have crashed into the sea.
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.827
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.857-859
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.877-878
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.982/985-986
|Officers||Ganoes Paran • Ash|
|7th Squad||Antsy • Blend • Detoran • Picker • Spindle|
|9th Squad||Whiskeyjack • Fiddler • Hedge • Kalam • Mallet • Quick Ben • Sorry • Trotts|
|Others||Mulch (11th squad) • Bucklund (12th squad) • Aimless • Bluepearl • Cage • Corinn • Dasalle • Liss • Monkrat • Runter • Shank • Toes • Tormin • Story|