Described as "long, black and sleek," Shan's eyes glowed red. In Deadhouse Gates, Mappo Runt described her preferred mode of attack as "a true killer's, an assassin's," also stating that he feared Shan above all the other Hounds.
In 1161 BS, Shan and the other Hounds were summoned by Shadowthrone to eliminate a regiment of the Itko Kanese 8th Cavalry to disguise his and Cotillion's abduction of Sorry. The Hounds killed 175 soldiers and 210 horses in the Itko Kan Massacre while suffering no casualties of their own.
Two years later, when Quick Ben intruded in the Warren of Shadow, the Hounds were quick to confront him. He greeted each by name, including Shan, and they herded him to Shadowkeep for an audience with Shadowthrone.
With Quick Ben's aid, all seven Hounds ran the trespassing puppet Hairlock to ground on the Rhivi Plain and tore him to pieces before confronting Ganoes Paran. Paran's life was spared by the intervention of the Tiste Andii, Anomander Rake. Rake slew Doan and Ganrod with his soul stealing sword Dragnipur and drove off the others.
The five remaining Hounds (Shan, Baran, Blind, Gear, and Rood) accompanied Fiddler, Apsalar, Crokus Younghand, Icarium, Mappo, and Iskaral Pust through the maze surrounding Tremorlor. The Hounds served as protection from the hordes of Soletaken and D'ivers following Shadowthrone's false Path of Hands to the Azath House. They also proved as a deterrent against the rage of Icarium. During the journey, Shan was wounded while battling Gryllen's seething mass of rats. She later attacked Icarium when he appeared to begin raging, although he easily tossed her aside. Shan killed a D'ivers Dhenrabi by jumping into its mouth and attacking its insides, but cringed in the presence of Moby, the Bhok'arala familiar.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p.xvi
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 12, US HC p.279
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, US HC p.443
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 1, UK MMPB p.17
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 1, US HC p.38
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 12, US HC p.279-281
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 15, US HC p.330-332
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, US HC p.442
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 18, US HC p.475-476/482
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 19, US HC p.498/500