Quorls were huge dragonfly-like creatures domesticated by the Moranth and used as a means of transportation for both goods and people. The Moranth used high saddles and ridged second saddles for passengers which rose up at the back of the thorax like cowls.
A quorl had four wings, comprised of "skin-thin", transparent membrane which sparkled. They could also easily be shredded. When in flight they created a sharp whirring sound and when stationary, they were quivering fast. They had four thin legs, emerging from beneath the high saddles and two additional limbs (or arms) tucked underneath, which were more dexterous. Their long, oddly segmented tails jutted straight out behind them, multi-hued and twenty feet in length. On rare occasions, the tip of a quorls tail might curl up. They exuded an easily recognizable acrid scent. They had enormous wedge-shaped heads with faceted eyes and articulated mandibles. They also exhibited some apparent intelligence. Their chitinous jaws tore strips of flesh from their prey.
A single quorl could accommodate two riders. The Moranth directed their mounts with unseen signals. Quorls were incredibly agile, capable of diving at high speeds and then coming to a stop a man's height above the ground with a single snap of the wings. They fed on live prey and detested open water. They could fly by night as easily as in the day.
In combat, the Moranth attacked with crossbows or Moranth munitions from their quorls. They were capable of attacking both air and ground targets. They were especially effective at mass bombardment of munitions on ground targets. In a worst case scenario, quorls could be used as suicide dive bombers that snapped and bit their targets even as their frail bodies and wings shattered.
Interaction with the Malazan EmpireEdit
Access to this air transport changed the way the Malazan Empire fought its wars. They relied heavily on Quorls for transport by air of both soldiers and supplies. The Moranth could use their quorls to stealthily insert squads by dark into key locations as well as quickly move entire companies of troops about the battlefield. Government agencies tried to keep their existence from becoming general knowledge.
waiting to leave Pale, Whiskeyjack gave one of the Quorl a nod and it seemed to curl its tail briefly in response. Quorls of the Green delivered Moranth munitions as well as an eighteen foot boat to their landing area.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.156
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.159
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.156/157
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.889
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Memories of Ice, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.815
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Book 1 Chapter 4, US HC p.177/179
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.872
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.890
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.157
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.880-881/889
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.99-100
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.99
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter, UK MMPB p.156-160
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 8, UK MMPB p.256
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter, UK MMPB p.157
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 8, UK MMPB p.256/259
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 9, UK MMPB p.290
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 10, UK MMPB p.339
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.83/85