Panek was a child of Shadow. He had been a Malazan child crucified together with 1,300 other children by the followers of the Whirlwind Rebellion under Korbolo Dom's command before joining Shadow.
Panek and the other crucified children were rescued by the demon Apt who convinced Shadowthrone to heal them and bring them to safety within the Realm of Shadow. Apt claimed guardianship of Panek and asked that he be force-healed. Shadowthrone did so, but warned that such healing demanded a price, and the effects on the boy's mind would make him unpredictable. In the process of restoring his health, Shadowthrone shaped the boy's eyeless sockets into one eye matching Apt's. Afterwards, she and the boy traveled together with the boy clinging to her back and addressing the demon as "mother".
Panek's unusual state gave him a sense of sight within Shadow much like the Hounds of Shadow and beyond even Cotillion's own. Introducing himself as Uncle Cotillion, the assassin expressed regret that the boy remembered his crucifixion and assured him that the punishment had not been the boy's fault. He was stunned to discover that the boy was able to see walls, trees, and other parts of the old places of the Shadow Hold that he could not, and asked the boy to teach him what he saw. As Cotillion departed and faded into the dark, Panek asked his mother, "Does he imagine that he now walks unseen?"
He took part in the defence of the First Throne and survived, although his 'mother' Apt died.
Panek was 'retired' to the Shadow Realm together with Aystar and the other few surviving children soldiers and was not seen again.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ House of Chains, Dramatis Personae
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 11, US HC p.299-300
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 11, US HC p.299
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 13, US HC p.346
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 12, US HC p.341
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23, US HC p.576
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 11, US HC p.304-305
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.534
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.534-536
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 12, US HC p.340-341
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.539
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 23, US HC p.583