The Malaz 5th Army was made up of soldiers primarily recruited from the Seven Cities region, along with many North Genabackan and Malazan mainlanders. They fought in the Genabackis campaign and later the Pannion War, before shipping back to Seven Cities to put down the rebellion there.
In the eighth year of the Genabackis Campaign, the Free Cities allied themselves with the Crimson Guard and others. According to the historian Imrygyn Tallobant, in that year the Malazan Forces under the command of High Fist Dujek Onearm consisted of the 2nd, 5th and 6th Armies, as well as legions of Moranth.
The 5th Army had been pushing eastward towards Pale across the northern edge of the Rhivi Plain when a half-dozen legions of the Tiste Andii under Caladan Brood joined forces with the Crimson Guard and began driving them back. By 1163 BS, the 5th Army had been bogged down in Blackdog Forest for four years, forced to stand against Brood and the mercenaries.
At the time of the last day of the Siege of Pale in 1163 BS, the 5th army was decimated and not expecting reinforcements until the next spring. The 5th was not mentioned as participating in the battle at Pale on the last day of the siege although remnants were seen moving into the city in the days immediately after.
The 2nd and 6th Armies took heavy losses in the final battle at Pale and were disbanded, and the remnants integrated into the 5th Army, bringing it to near full complement of about ten thousand soldiers. From this point onward, it was usually referred to as Onearm's Host, due to Dujek being in command.
- "Onearm's Host, in that time, was perhaps the finest army the Malazan Empire had yet to produce, even given the decimation of the Bridgeburners at the Siege of Pale. Drawn from disparate regiments that included companies from Seven Cities, Falar, and Malaz Island, these 10,000 soldiers were, by roll, 4,912 women, the remaining men; 1,267 under the recorded age of twenty-five years, 721 over the age of thirty-five years; the remaining in between.
Remarkable indeed. More so when one considers this: among its soldiers could be found veterans of the Wickan Wars (see Coltaine's Rebellion), the Aren Uprising (on both sides), and Blackdog Forest and Mott Wood.
How does one measure such an army? By their deeds; and that which awaited them in the Pannion Domin would make of Onearm's Host a legend carved in stone."
- ―East of Saltoan, a History of the Pannion Wars
After Dujek was seemingly outlawed by Empress Laseen, he forged an alliance with the Tiste Andii under Anomander Rake, Caladan Brood's mercenaries, the Barghast and Darujhistan. The 5th marched with these forces in the Pannion War under the command of Dujek and Whiskeyjack.
They reconquered city after city in the plague-struck continent. Their mages tracked the plague's origin to G'danisban. Dujek led a strike-force into the city against what he thought was a High Priest of Poliel but found the Grey Goddess herself.After the death of Dujek from the plague, the Host came under the leadership of Ganoes Paran. From this point onwards, the Army is usually referred to as the Host.
The Host reached northern Kolanse via Warren and conquered North Citadel a stronghold of the Forkrul Assail. They were besieged inside the keep but repelled and destroyed the Assail forces once Quick Ben and Kalam joined them.
Notable Members Edit
- Ganoes Paran, High Fist
- Dujek Onearm, former High Fist
- Fist Rythe Bude
- Outrider Hurlochel
- High Mage Noto Boil
- High Mage Quick Ben
- Commander Mathok
- Bodyguard T'morol
- Captain Sweetcreek
- Corporal Kalam Mekhar
- Imperial Artist Ormulogun
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.114
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 1, UK MMPB p.10
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.61
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.68
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.72
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.103
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.104
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.150
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 13
|Armies||1st (Dassem Ultor) • 2nd (Whiskeyjack) • 3rd (Choss) • 4th • 5th (Onearm's/Paran's Host) • 6th (Greymane) • 7th (Chain of Dogs) • 8th • 9th • 10th • 11th • 12th • 13th • 14th (Bonehunters)|