|Appearance||Obese, with curly, oily hair|
Kruppe was a regular at the Phoenix Inn in Darujhistan. He was described as a small, round (obese, according to Rallick Nom) man with short, oily, curly hair. He had pencil-thin eyebrows. In Orb Sceptre Throne Kruppe was described as being squat, rotund and so short he could barely see over Baruk's high table and his eyes were depicted as watery, bulging and frog-like, blinking innocently. Kruppe himself thought that a description of 'fat with sloth and neglect, inclined to excess, somewhat clumsy' did apply to him.
Kruppe habitually indulged in long, often rambling, monologues where he would refer to himself in the third person Kruppe refused to ride a horse, preferring his mule. He had an abiding love for pastries.
Unlike most talents who used knucklebones, read heat fractures in scapulae or used the Fatid of the Deck of Dragons, Kruppe did not need any such props, he had the power of divination in his head. Prophecy came to him unbidden and he could not deny it. Kruppe was able to steer his dreams and use them to influence events in his 'real' world.
Kruppe was also "the Eel", a mysterious person with several agents in his employment such as Circle Breaker but this was only known, even suspected, by very few, if any. Kruppe carefully guarded his alter ego, however, eventually some of those close to him guessed the truth. [Murillio]] confronted him with his suspicions but Kruppe played with the man's memory, temporarily wiping out that suspicion.
Kruppe manipulated his way into accompanying the renegade Onearm's Host and their allies to wage war on the Pannion Domin. Along the way, he encountered Hetan with whom he developed an attraction after numerous romantic encounters.
Kruppe and Iskaral Pust participated in a mounted mule charge in a fight against one another. Kruppe inadvertently punched Pust in the nose and the masses of Kruppe, Pust, Mogora (as spiders) and the bhokarala end up in a riving mess upon the floor.
In The Crippled God Edit
Kruppe made a brief appearance as Torrent traveled through a warren with Olar Ethil and Hetan's children. The Awl warrior found Kruppe sitting at his characteristic campsite within his dreams, gorging on sweets and wine. To protect his children, Kruppe gave the Awl a Rhivi bow and arrows, which the warrior ultimately used to slay Olar Ethil.
- "I am named Kruppe, sir. Kruppe the First"
- ―Kruppe, introducing himself to Anomander Rake
- "That small, round man hides obsidian edges beneath his surfeit of flesh. Who would have thought?"
- ―On Kruppe, from a dream of the Mhybe
- "Eggs have been laid and schemes have hatched! One particularly large shell is about to be broken, and will have been broken by the time you arrive, which means it is as good as broken right now so what are you waiting for? In fact, foolish man, you are already too late, or will be, by then, and if not then, then soon, in the imminent sense of the word."
- ―Kruppe, urging Ganoes Paran to go to Seven Cities
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 20, UK MMPB p.574/575
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p. xiii
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 6, UK MMPB p.218
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.171-176
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Prologue, UK PB p.25
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.173
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 21, UK MMPB p.612 example
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.172
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 5, UK MMPB p.1175/176
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 21, UK MMPB p.602