The Grey Swords were a mercenary cult. An order of warrior priests of Fener's Reve originally from Elingarth and sworn to Fener, the boar of summer, they were hired by Prince Jelarkan to supplement his own forces, the Capanthall. They originally numbered over seven thousand.
The Mask Council also invoked a law preventing the Grey Swords from any engagements outside the city walls which severely restricted what they could do in the event of a siege.
They defended Capustan during the siege but they were betrayed by Rath'Fener, the high priest representative of their own god, which left all but a handful dead. Later, the Shield Anvil Itkovian exacted retribution for this betrayal. He also learned at that time that Fener now walked the mortal earth and Rath'Trake offered to take over the blessing of his vows. Itkovian refused.
After the siege, Itkovian decided that the survival of the Grey Swords called for drastic measures. He led Captain Norul and the former recruit Velbara to a gathering of Barghast elders where the Grey Swords swore allegiance to Togg and Fanderay, proclaiming a new reve, the Wolf's Reve with Norul as the new Shield Anvil and Velbara the new Destriant.
In exchange for Toc the Younger's sacrifice of his body, Togg helped to place his soul within Anaster's now empty vessel of a body, granting Toc a second chance at life. Toc-Anaster became the new Mortal Sword of the Grey Swords.
When Redmask, the Awl leader, returned to his people after a long exile, he found that the Awl had betrayed their allies, the Grey Swords, during their fight against the Letherii, and had been entirely decimated since they chose to stand and fight rather than flee unlike their Awl allies. The Malazan, Toc the Younger, who was the Mortal Sword of the Grey Swords, was the only known lone survivor. He had been imprisoned by the Awl leader Hadralt. He was later released by Redmask and accompanied him to the battles against the Letherii.
- Brukhalian, Mortal Sword of Fener's Reve
- Itkovian, Shield Anvil of Fener's Reve
- Karnadas, Destriant of Fener's Reve
- Norul, Captain and later Shield Anvil of the Wolf's Reve
- Toc-Anaster, Mortal Sword of the Wolf's Reve
- Velbara, Recruit and later Destriant of the Wolf's Reve
See also Edit
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Glossary, UK MMPB p.1181
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 18, UK MMPB p.790-792
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 21, UK MMPB p.921
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 25, UK MMPB p.1102/1109-1111/1129/1145/1167/1168
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 4
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 6
- ↑ Dust of Dreams, Chapter 4