Great Ravens were huge birds sustained by magic and led by the Matron, Crone. They were allied with the Tiste Andii, their roost was Moon's Spawn. They had wingspans of up to fifteen feet. Magic was ambrosia to Great Ravens and they were drawn to it. The power exuded by sorcery extended their lives by hundreds of years and its musk had 'other effects as well'.
At the beginning of the assault on Moon's Spawn at the Siege of Pale, the first attack caused a huge flock of nesting Ravens to leave the crags and pocks of the fortress. Hairlock estimated them to number thirty-thousand.
The ravens later feasted on the remains strewn over the battlefield. When Tattersail crossed the battlefield with the wrapped marionette of Hairlock, the Ravens displayed terror which, according to Kalam, was due to the presence of the puppet.
K'rul related how the Great Ravens had formed from the maggots eating the pieces of the Fallen One's broken body which littered the sister continents of Jacuruku and Korelri. In addition, Crone revealed their collective embarrassment regarding their origin.
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Glossary, UK MMPB p.706
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.74
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 6, UK MMPB p.194
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.53/83
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 6, UK MMPB p.199
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.83
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Prologue, UK MMPB p.35/36