Gesler was a Falari and corporal in the Malazan Coastal Guard near Hissar. He had originally been a captain in the Malaz 1st Army under the Old Guard but was busted down first to sergeant then corporal, presumably in the wake of Laseen's restructuring of the command. Along with Stormy, he was one of the last members of that army's Boar Cult.
He and Stormy had been friends since they were young.
Gesler's face was "flat and wide, evincing north Kanese blood somewhere in his ancestry". He kept his head shaved.
Gesler and his crew were attacked in their homeport during the Seven Cities rebellion (the Whirlwind). Aided by Duiker and cadre mage Kulp they fought their way to the Ripath and retreated by sea. With Hissar burning and no obvious safe harbour nearby, Gesler followed Kulp's orders to travel to Otataral Island to pick up historian Heboric Light Touch. Accompanying him were Stormy and Truth.
After rescuing the historian and his companions Felisin Paran and Baudin, they travelled into the Nascent where they commandeered the abandoned vessel Silanda. This vessel was briefly pulled through a Warren where he, Stormy, and Truth somehow began the process of becoming Ascendants. Their skin took on a bronze hue becoming as strong as stone, and their strength and endurance rose to well above normal.
By coincidence, the Silanda met Fist Coltaine and his Chain of Dogs at Vathar Crossing. Gesler joined Coltaine's army and was punched in the face by the Fist before accepting promotion. The punch broke Gesler's nose and shattered Coltaine's hand. Gesler was still referred to as Corporal after the event so being called 'Captain' by Bult might have referred to his command of the Silanda only.
Gesler took many of the 7th Army's wounded by ship to Aren, arriving only after the battle ended below its walls. He, Stormy, and Truth rescued Bent and Roach from the site of the Fall before locating Duiker's body among the crucified prisoners along Aren Way.
Gesler and his tent-mate Stormy were abducted from the Bonehunter army camp by the K'Chain Che'Malle and Gesler was installed as their Mortal Sword. With the help of Stormy as well as Sinn and Grub they defeated the K'Chain Nah'ruk.
Fan art galleryEdit
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 15, UK MMPB p.639
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p.18
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 6, US HC p.157
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, US HC p.429
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 22, UK MMPB p.862
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 3, UK HC p. 74
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 6
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 8
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 11
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 20, US HC p.424/427/429-430
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.672/674/695
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 24, US HC p.590-592
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 7, UK MMPB p.447
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 22, BCA edition p.734