Gesler was a Falari and corporal in the Malazan Coastal Guard. He had originally been a captain under the Old Guard but was busted down to sergeant, then Corporal presumably in the wake of Laseen's restructuring of the command.
Gesler was hired by Duiker during the Seven Cities rebellion (the Whirlwind) to pick up a fellow historian, Heboric Light Touch, from the Otataral Desert on a nearby island. Accompanying him were Stormy, Truth, and the mage Kulp. After rescuing the historian, he travelled briefly through a warren where he, Stormy, and Truth somehow began the process of becoming Ascendants. According to Beak, they were reforged in the fires of Tellann.
Gesler joined Coltaine's army and was punched in the face by the commander before accepting to be promoted. The punch broke Geslers nose and shattered Coltaine's hand. Gesler was still referred to as Corporal after the event so being called 'Captain' by Bult might have referred to his command of the Silanda only.
Gesler and his tent-mate Stormy were abducted from the Bonehunter army camp by the K'Chain Che'Malle and Gesler was installed as their Mortal Sword. With the help of Stormy as well as Sinn and Grub they defeat the K'Chain Nah'ruk.
Gesler and Stormy lead the K'Chain Che'Malle to join up with the Bonehunters.
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 15, UK MMPB p.639
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p.18
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 22, UK MMPB p.862
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, UK MMPB page 671/672
- ↑ The Crippled God, Chapter 3, UK HC p. 74
- ↑ Reaper's Gale, Chapter 22, BCA edition p.734
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.672
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.695
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 16, UK MMPB p.674
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 7, UK MMPB p.447