She was a tall, lithely muscled woman with large and pendulous breasts and wide, full hips. She had a fine umber-hued pelt with long, shaggy hair reaching below her shoulders. Her face had a solid brow, prominent flaring cheekbones, dark brown eyes, and a broad, full-lipped mouth. Her movements were as graceful as a deer's. Her body showed obvious signs of childbirth in her past.
The Eres'al appeared suddenly before Trull Sengar as he, Onrack, Monok Ochem, and Ibra Gholan exited the warren of Tellann on their way to the First Throne. Trull shouted as everything went dark and time folded in on itself. When Onrack could see again, they were in the crevasse of the First Throne and Trull was unconscious. He observed smears of blood and three parallel cuts below the Tiste Edur's belly button and determined they were left by the Eres'al. The Bonecaster, Monok Ochem, confirmed that the Eres had stolen Trull's first seed, although her reasons were unfathomable as he said the Eres had minds of beasts. The sorcery the Eres'al projected was a barely formed warren on the edge of oblivion that temporarily sent Trull's mind elsewhere.
The Eres'al appeared later within the Tanno Spiritwalker song for the Bridgeburners playing within Fiddler's blood. As Adjunct Tavore Paran's 14th Army made preparations to face Sha'ik Reborn's Army of the Apocalypse, Fiddler found himself nearly overcome by voices in his skull and fire in his limbs. Bottle moved to help him and discovered the Eres'al amongst the other spirits. The mage and witch shared minds granting Bottle some knowledge of her people before the witch granted Fiddler the mercy of silence. Fiddler soon recovered his senses.
Acquitor Seren Pedac and Hull Beddict discussed the creation myths of the Nerek people of Lether. Hull said the Nerek believed they were all born of a single mother who was the thief of fire and who walked through time. Her journeys were to satisfy a need that consumed her but which she never understood. She took within her a sacred seed that led to the birth of a girl through which all of the Nerek were born.
- "Knowing how Eres plays the game, lass, he might not even be your father yet. She wanders time, Kettle, in a manner no-one else can even understand, much less emulate. And this is very much her world. She is the fire that never dies. She will choose— or has chosen— with great deliberation. Your father was, is, or will be someone of great importance."
- ―Silchas Ruin talking with Kettle about her mother
The Eres'al often appeared to Bottle in his dreams. Eres disguised herself as a human, acting as an aide and lover to Adjunct Tavore. She disappeared once her identity was discovered.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Midnight Tides, Chapter 7, US SFBC p.227
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 House of Chains, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.747
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.745
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.747-748
- ↑ House of Chains, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.755-758
- ↑ Midnight Tides, Chapter 14