She was described as being tall, slim, wearing a flowing white telaba such as were worn by highborn women of Seven Cities. Her black hair was long and straight. It was remarked by Toc the Younger that she looked around twenty five. She possessed great charisma, making even a Seguleh trio respect her. Her presence also seemed to cause people around her to admire her, or at least it influenced Toc in such a manner.
She displayed vast magical powers, being able to unleash extremely destructive waves of energy. Lady Envy was also very adept at healing and could cast involuntary sleep onto people, as displayed on Mok. Additionally, her kiss could enslave people to her bidding. However, she seemed to prefer to influence those around her with her feminine charms so they would choose the kiss and thus enslavement willingly, instead of simply forcing them to accept it.
It was known that Lady Envy travelled for a time with Anomander Rake and Osseric, though they were more rivals keeping tabs on each other than friends. Eventually, Osseric left and some time after that, an argument erupted between Lady Envy and Anomander, resulting in each of them choosing their own path.
Envy made her first appearance in the books at Morn where she resided in a ruined Jaghut tower while she studied the the Rent there. She had with her three likely charmed Seguleh servants: Senu, Thurule, and Mok, as well as two animal companions: Garath, a large dog, and Baaljagg, an ay.
She determined that the portal seemed almost mechanical and that a K'Chain Che'Malle Matron had escaped from the rent before freeing her brood from the nearby barrows. The T'lan Imass Tool offered her further insight but requested she accompany him northward for answers.
Lady Envy and her companions (the Seguleh, Garath, and Baaljagg), Toc the Younger and Onos T'oolan travelled to the Pannion Domin in order to wage war with the Pannion Seer and split his forces so the coalition of Malazan forces, Anomander Rake and Caladan Brood could strike easily from the other side. During the journey, she toyed with Toc, while he kept falling for her over and over again, much to his own shame. This led to them ultimately parting ways, Toc slipping away during a magical battle and joining the Tenescowri to get to his fellow Malazans.
Lady Envy moved to Darujhistan, where she fell in love with the Ascendant poet, Fisher kel Tath. Her estate was located next to Hinter's Tower and was described as small and elegant in a vaguely feminine way.
Envy and Spite later turned up at the scene of the duel between Dassem Ultor and Anomander Rake where they fought against Hounds of Shadow. They abandoned their quest for Dragnipur when Caladan Brood arrived.
During the Seguleh expedition to Darujhistan, the Seguleh attempted to bring Thurule back into the fold. He instead chose to remove his mask and crush it under his foot. Miffed at the loss of his "mysterious cachet", Lady Envy released him from her service. Envy and Fisher also parted ways and Envy was soon part of the court surrounding the reborn Tyrant. There she had an unexpected reunion with her father.
At the time of Mother Dark's ascension, Envy and her two sisters appeared to be young girls. Their father told them that they would age like normal Tiste until they reached the age of eight or nine. Afterwards they would only mature after experiencing death-like trauma. Envy and Spite convinced Malice that if she died she would return more powerful than her hated older sisters. Malice agreed, so Spite strangled her. When Malice remained dead, the two sisters hid the body and concluded that they needed to murder any who would notice she was missing, so they set about murdering the Dracons household staff. Their murder spree appeared short lived when house surgeon, Atran, overpowered them both. Only the sudden appearance of a reanimated Malice saved them. Afterwards, the girls hid in the walls of the Hold until Malice's deathlike stench became too much and they locked her in a blazing kitchen oven.
- "Her unbound black hair hung full and straight down to the small of her back. Her lips were painted a deep, vaguely menacing red. The kohl above her eyes contained the hues of dusk."
- ―Description of Lady Envy
- "Lady Envy’s sorcery...As in legends of old, hers was a power that rolled in broad waves, stripping the life from all it swept over, devouring rank upon rank, street by street, leaving bodies piled in their hundreds. She was...the daughter of Draconus – an Elder God."
- ―Toc the Younger reflecting on Lady Envy
- Lady Envy: "Have we met before?"
- Tool: "No. None the less, you are known to me."
- Lady Envy: "So it seems! It was, I admit, over-modest of me to assume that I would not be recognized. After all, I've crossed paths with the T'lan Imass more than once. At least twice, that is."
- ―Lady Envy meeting the T'lan Imass First Sword, Tool (Onos T'oolan)[src]
Fan art galleryEdit
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 1, UK HC p.5
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Memories of Ice, Chapter 1
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 13, UK MMPB
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 21, UK HB p.769
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 21, UK HB p.783
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 21, UK HB p.783/784
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 23, UK HB p.863/865/887/907
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 13
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 11, UK MMPB p.470
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 13, UK HC p.387-8
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 13, UK HC p.390
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 13, UK HC p.398
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 19, UK HC p.604