Deadhouse Landing is the second book in the Path to Ascendancy series by Ian C. Esslemont. It was released in the UK on the 16th of November 2017 and in the US on the 14th of November 2017.
Returning readers to the turbulent early history of what would become the Malazan Empire, the second chapter in Ian C. Esslemont's thrilling new epic fantasy sequence . . .
After the disappointments of Li Heng, Dancer and Kellanved wash up on a small insignificant island named Malaz. Immediately, of course, Kellanved plans to take it over. To do so they join forces with a small band of Napans who have fled a civil war on their own home island. The plan, however, soon goes awry as Kellanved develops a strange and dangerous fascination for a mysterious ancient structure found on the island.
The chaos in the region extends to the metaphysical planes also as a young priest of D'rek starts to question the rot at the heart of the worship of the god of decay. And back in Li Heng, Dassem, now the proclaimed Sword of Hood, finds himself being blamed for a plague which leads him to a crisis of faith - and searching for answers.
During all this, war with the neighbouring island of Nap threatens, recruited allies wonder at Kellanved's sanity, and powerful entities take more of an interest in the little mage from Dal Hon. Dancer faces a hard choice: should he give up on his partnership? Especially when the fellow’s obsession with shadows and ancient artefacts brings the both of them alarmingly close to death and destruction.
After all, who in his right mind would actually wish to enter an Elder mystery known to everyone as the 'Deadhouse'?
Front matter Edit
For Simon Taylor
Once again I wish to thank A. P. Canavan for his insight, attention and discretion as a prereader and editor. Also, my gratitude to Nancy Webber for her sharp pencil and precise mind. And thanks as always to my agent Howard Morhaim for all his work on behalf of the World of Malaz.
Plot summary Edit
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2|
|Chapter 3||Chapter 4|
|Chapter 5||Chapter 6|
|Chapter 8||Chapter 9|
|Chapter 10||Chapter 11|
|Chapter 12||Chapter 13|
|Chapter 14||Chapter 15|
|Chapter 16||Chapter 17|
|Chapter 18||Chapter 19|
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Deadhouse Landing, Path to Ascendancy Book 2, Ian C Esslemont. Retrieved on 2017-06-28.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Path to Ascendancy Book 2: A Novel of the Malazan, Empire Hardcover – August 8, 2017, by Ian C. Esslemont (Author). Retrieved on 2017-06-28.
- ↑ Deadhouse Landing: Path to Ascendancy Book 2 Hardcover – Nov 14 2017. Retrieved on 2017-09-21.
- ↑ In the Dragon’s Den: Ian C Esslemont Interview. Retrieved on 2017-03-05.
- ↑ Second MALAZAN prequel novel title teased. Retrieved on 2017-03-05.
- ↑ Intervista esclusiva a Ian C. Esslemont. Retrieved on 2017-03-05. (scroll down for English version)