Cawn was a coastal city east of Li Heng on the continent of Quon Tali. It lay at the mouth of the Idryn river on an inlet off the Nap Sea. Cawn Vor which was mentioned by Rellock as being north of Kan may have been another name for Cawn or the name of a location close to it.
Trade ran up and down the Idryn river between Cawn and Li Heng. The Cawnese were known for their rapacious bureaucrats, who could tax, fee, and tithe visitors out of all their funds.
The city celebrated an annual Festival of Lights in which the citizenry launched fleets of candles and tiny lamps bearing offerings of thanks and propitiations.
Notable natives of Cawn Edit
During the Malazan civil war, the city was visited by Urko and the fleet of the Talian League. The city was happy to fill its coffers by charging exorbitant fees to replenish the enemy fleet's stores. Soon after, the city was sacked by the Crimson Guard. By the time Empress Laseen's fleet arrived in pursuit of the Guard, the city had been significantly destroyed by fire. Laseen forcibly regained the loyalty of Cawn's leadership.
- "Farewell to all these bureaucracy-choked lands! A curse upon all you assessors and collectors and all you state-run bandits! May you choke in Hood's craw! Goodbye to all fees, tithes, taxes, bills and levies! Damn you all to the darker side of the Abyss!"
- ―Cartharon Crust bids farewell to Cawn
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Map of Quon Tali
- ↑ Deadhouse Gates, Chapter 22, UK MMPB p.868
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Book 2 Chapter 3, US HC p.334-337
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Book 2 Chapter 1, US HC p.240
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Book 2 Chapter 3, UK PB p.334-337
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Book 2 Chapter 2, UK PB p.293-294
- ↑ Return of the Crimson Guard, Book 2 Chapter 5, US HC p.421-422