During the Malazan Empire's attempts to conquer Genabackis, Caladan Brood led a unified force of Tiste Andii, Crimson Guard, Rhivi, Mott Irregulars, Barghast and soldiers from the remaining Free Cities against them. Under his command, his forces managed to delay the Malaz 5th Army from completely conquering the north of the continent at Blackdog Forest for a period of at least four years.Malazans, in order to combat a more powerful and revolting foe, the Pannion Domin. His second in command was the once High King Kallor. A number of Tiste Andii sorcerers were attached to his forces. Darujhistan prepared by Burn, and sealed it with a Barghast glyph that meant Grief. He then took the sword Dragnipur and shattered it with his hammer.
Caladan Brood settled just outside the city of Darujhistan adjudicating matters brought to him by emissaries from the north, the Free Cities and the Rhivi Plains. As time went by, he felt a certain tension and feared that there had been a shift in the balance of power with his friend's death. His fears proved true with the rise of the Legate. Brood was directly confronted by the Legate (now the Jaghut Tyrant) when his erstwhile friend, now puppet of the Tyrant, Barukanal, came to visit him. The two reached an impasse however, when Caladan threatened to pull down the city to stop the Tyrant if he had to.
Being a respected figure for the Rhivi, he did his best to try and dissuade the Rhivi tribes and their leader Jiwan, from going to war with the Malazan armies on Genabackis. He did not succeed as the Rhivi did engage a Malazan force, confident that they could finally rid themselves of the Malazan menace that had been troubling them.
Brood was a renowned Azathanai High Mason. He was hired by Anomander Purake to build and dedicate a hearthstone in the new home of the betrothed Andarist and Enesdia to celebrate their marriage. The stone was inscribed with an Azathanai blessing that would only be known by the new husband and wife. At the time of the stone's placing, Brood demanded an oath from Anomander Rake which prompted Rake to demand one in return. This created a bond between them and ultimately led to their longstanding companionship. After the wedding day tragedy, Brood returned to the home where he told Anomander he would show him how to end the brewing civil war among the Tiste.
- "They are a generation that has tasted blood, and when horror fades, nostalgia seeps in. In war all is simple, and there is appeal in this. Who among us is comforted by confusion, uncertainty?"
- ―Caladan Brood
- Grizzin Farl: "Is it as the Jaghut assert then? In society we find the seeds of its own destruction?"
- Caladan Brood: "Perhaps, but they miss the point. It is the absence of society that leads to destruction. When concord is lost, when arguments cease, and in opposition neither side sees the other as kin, as brother and sister, then all manner of atrocity is possible."
- ―Grizzin Farl and Caladan Brood, sitting at campfire, finishing third bottle of wine[src]
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Glossary, UK MMPB p.704
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p.xvi
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.71
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 2, UK MMPB p.61
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 1
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 6
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 12
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 15
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 20
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 2, UK HC p.50
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 20, UK HC p.660