Queen Ardata (or Ardatha) of Jacuruku, also named the Queen of Spiders, was an Elder God. She was the ancient goddess of a kingdom on Jacuruku, conquered by the Crimson Guard, who later ruled there in her name.
- "Fifty years, dear rivals, to conquer an entire continent. Oh, perhaps Ardatha still held out - always late in sending me my rightful tribute - but I ignored such petty gestures. She has fled, did you know? The bitch."
- ―Kallor on Ardata
Cotillion made a reference to Ardata when he was in conversation with Mogora after the latter had invoked a healing ritual, involving hundreds of thousands of spiders wrapping Mappo Runt in strands of spider web: "Cotillion was gazing steadily at her, then he said, 'You're one of Ardata's, aren't you?'"
The ritual put Mappo into a dreamlike state in which he saw himself in a place he did not recognise. Tall stone pillars seemed to surround him in a pattern and their shadows formed a kind of web with him in the center. A young woman appeared, dressed in black flowing silks with long hair the colours of dying flames, eyes the hue of beaten gold, unblemished skin and smooth hands. She told him that the place was Jacuruku and that the time was four or five years after The Fall (presumably that of Kaminsod). She remarked upon her own appearance, noting herself to be young again. Asked about her identity she answered: ‘A queen about to be driven from her throne, banished from her empire. My vanity is about to suffer an ignominious defeat.’ Mappo deduced her identity and offered to name her, but she told him that it would not be wise to do so. Spite later commented that he had been healed by the Queen of spiders. All of which seems to indicate that the woman Mappo met was Ardata.
Two other Elder Gods discussed the queen.
- Sechul Lath: "We have discussed K'rul, but there is one other, Errastas. An entity most skilled at remaining a mystery to us all-"
- Errastas: "Ardata. But she is not the only one. I always sensed, Setch, that there were more of us than any of us imagined. Even with my power, my command of the Tiles, I was convinced there were ghosts, hovering at the edge of my vision, my awareness. Ghosts, as ancient and as formidable as any of us."
- ―Sechul Lath and Errastas discussing Ardata[src]
Ardata became the new patron of Skinner, enhancing his power. She gave him armour covered with a dark patina.
Tayschrenn mentioned that Ardata held the title of Enchantress before the current Queen of Dreams showed up and they were now bitter rivals. She was the greatest power of her age, eclipsed now in this time of Warrens and their mastery.
Ardata was revealed to be an Azathanai. Old Man told Draconus that his usage of Night to aid Mother Dark of the Tiste was without precedent and had infuriated the "believers". Two such believers, Ardata and the Sister of Dreams, thereafter sought redress and healing in the Vitr.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Prologue, UK MMPB p.38
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 9, UK MMPB p.512
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 11, UK MMPB p.555-557
- ↑ The Bonehunters, Chapter 14, UK MMPB p.713
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 17, UK MMPB p.662
- ↑ Forge of Darkness, Chapter 11, UK HC p.317