- "Why would I tell Antsy? The answer should be obvious, Healer. I love watching him panic."
Antsy was a Falari and sergeant of the 7th Squad of the Bridgeburners. In appearance he was short, but large of build with blue eyes, a red face, and a distinctive handlebar moustache. He was also known as "a card-player, [...] only not a good one". His squadmates originally included Blend, Detoran, Picker, and Spindle, and later Hedge, Mallet, Quick Ben, and Trotts.
Antsy was morose, constantly grumbling and complaining, and always looking for somewhere to place the blame. His fellow squad members amused themselves by goading him on. He had a tendency to tug on his moustache when stressed.
Antsy was one of the Bridgeburners who escaped the collapse of the tunnels at the end of the Siege of Pale. During the city's occupation, he and Picker stumbled upon the body of Captain Ganoes Paran after Sorry attempted to assassinate him.
After the events of the Gedderone Fête in Darujhistan, Antsy was stationed with the rest of the now renegade Bridgeburners in Pale. Captain Paran reorganised the Bridgeburners by dissolving the 9th Squad and placing its remaining members (including Hedge, Mallet, and Trotts) under Antsy's command.
When Dujek allied with Anomander Rake and Caladan Brood to fight the Pannion Domin at Capustan the Bridgeburners were sent ahead by Quorl in two groups. Antsy's group was assigned to wait for Quick Ben on the Vision Plain while Captain Paran took the rest to secure an alliance with the White Face Barghast of the Barghast Range. Antsy spent the time waiting becoming increasingly paranoid and pessimistic. Once both adjectives were achieved the Bridgeburners reunited.
By this time, Capustan had fallen and Captain Paran was eager for a fight. Antsy and the Bridgeburners used Moranth munitions to punch their way through 200 Betaklites and over a thousand Tenescowri blocking the way inside the city. Advancing through the devastated city, they stumbled upon a tenement defended by Gruntle, the Mortal Sword of Treach. Temporarily safe, Antsy unleashed his pent up paranoia and anger on Captain Paran for keeping his troops ignorant of the army's strategy. The sergeant nearly drew his sword on Paran before Mallet intervened.
The Barghast attack, coupled with the arrival of Dujek and the army, soon delivered Capustan from its occupiers. Antsy and Spindle discovered Prince Arard exiting the tunnels below the city and appointed themselves official representatives of Onearm's Host to speak with him.
The Bridgeburners were secretly sent ahead to Coral to reconnoiter the Pannion Seer's city. They established their camp among the network of unmanned trenches and tunnels the Pannion Domin had built on the forested slopes north of the city. When Septarch Ultentha sent a company of Beklites and Urdomen to man the trenches, Antsy estimated they faced twenty-five to thirty thousand opponents. The Bridgeburners held their position until Dujek arrived.
During the Siege of Coral, Dujek sent the Bridgeburners into the city by Quorl under the cover of darkness. Their mission was to attack the keep of the Pannion Seer while the High Fist led the rest of the army into the city itself. He assisted with driving away the Seer's demonic Condors while the squad sappers blasted a breach in the keep's wall. Then he joined the others inside the keep to fight the enemy Seerdomin. Antsy was severely wounded in the battle. Mallet tripped over what he thought to be a corpse before realising it was a dying Antsy. The sergeant's life was saved only by the magic healing of Lady Envy.
Antsy was among the few Bridgeburners to survive the battle in the keep. After the city was taken, Dujek allowed him and the remaining Bridgeburners to secretly retire as had been Whiskeyjack's wish. The sergeant went to Darujhistan where he convinced several of his comrades to use their accumulated back pay to establish K'rul's Bar.
He, together with Picker and Blend, survived the assassins' attack on K'rul's Bar.
- "If this is what I want, then I don't want it."
- "The truth is that the goal of existence is to kill you."
- "Happy? Antsy don't know the meaning of the word."
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Dramatis Personae, UK MMPB p.xii
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.119
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 8, US SFBC p.312
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 11, US SFBC p.397
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 3, UK MMPB p.119
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 11
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.864
- ↑ Gardens of the Moon, Chapter 4, UK MMPB p.141
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 2, US SFBC p.82
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 8, US SFBC p.312-315
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.560-566
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 17, US SFBC p.572-577
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 20, US SFBC p.705-706
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 23, US SFBC p.863-865/876
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.877-878
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 24, US SFBC p.883
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.918/928/938/941
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Chapter 25, US SFBC p.991-992
- ↑ Memories of Ice, Epilogue, US SFBC p.997-1000
- ↑ Toll the Hounds, Chapter 11
- ↑ Orb Sceptre Throne, Chapter 4
|Officers||Ganoes Paran • Ash|
|7th Squad||Antsy • Blend • Detoran • Picker • Spindle|
|9th Squad||Whiskeyjack • Fiddler • Hedge • Kalam • Mallet • Quick Ben • Sorry • Trotts|
|Others||Mulch (11th squad) • Bucklund (12th squad) • Aimless • Bluepearl • Cage • Corinn • Dasalle • Liss • Monkrat • Runter • Shank • Toes • Tormin • Story|